Oracle’s Primavera P6 Professional Project Management gives today’s project managers and schedulers the one thing they value most: control. Primavera P6 Professional Project Management, the recognized standard for high-performance project management software, is designed to handle large-scale, highly sophisticated and multifaceted projects. It can be used to organize projects up to 100,000 activities, and it provides unlimited resources and an unlimited number of target plans. Massive data requires sophisticated, yet highly flexible organization tools to provide you a multitude of ways to organize, filter and sort activities, projects, and resources.
- P6 Professional Project Management (PPM) is more commonly known as P6 Windows client and can be referred to as “the always-connected Windows client of P6 R8″ or “Optional client”
- P6 PPM can be licenced separated from the P6 Web EPPM product suiteLatest version is Release 8.2
- The P6 Windows client can be purchased seperately
- Or it is bundled with P6 EPPM (includes both P6 Windows Professional and P6 Web Access)
- Both P6 PPM and P6 EPPM can access the same P6 EPPM database. What this means is different users can access/use the same database of projects using either the Windows EPPM client or the Web EPPM client.
- P6 Professional integrates traditional project management with streamlined resource and cost management. it is primarily aimed to provide plenty of features to address the needs of project planners and schedulers.
- Support of work breakdown structures (WBS), user-defined fields and codes, critical-path-method (CPM) scheduling, and resource leveling.
- Multiple users can access the same projects concurrently
- Issue tracking
- Management by threshold
- A tracking feature that enables you to perform dynamic cross-project rollups of cost, schedule, and earned value
- Work products and documents that can be assigned to activities and managed centrally
- Time-scaled logic diagrams
- Resource and role administration
- Tiled & tabbed window layouts for easy navigation
- Configurable menus & toolbars
- Enhanceeaks on grouping bands
- Email reports as attachments
- Streamlined installation process
Features NO LONGER Available for P6 PPM Professional (Windows Client) R8:
- Summary-Only projects
- Microsoft ProjectLink/MSP-Managed Projects – P6 R8 will continue to offer Microsoft Project import and export capabilities. The plug-in for MSP has been removed from R8.
- Project Architect
- Top Down Estimation
- Check Project Integrity
Feature Changes of P6 Professional (Windows Client) for the P6 EPPM product suite:
- All administrative and most enterprise-level tasks for P6 Professional Windows Client in the P6 EPPM database are accessed through the P6 Web Client.
- Administrative features relocated from P6 Windows to P6 Web are:
- Global Dictionaries, including EPS, OBS, Project Codes, Activity Step Templates, Cost Accounts, Funding Sources, Risk User Defined Fields
- Security Profiles
- Admin Preferences
- Admin Categories
- Timesheet Dates
- Financial Periods
- Time Approval
- Job Services – Replaced with new Scheduled Services. New Job Status available for monitoring services from Windows
- Project Risks – Replaced with new Risks
- Methodology Manager module – Replaced with new Project Templates
- SDK – Deprecated. Will not support new tables and will be removed in future releases after R8. API and Web Services continue to be enhanced and should be considered for future integrations, customizations and other utilities.
- Balance resource capacity
- Plan, schedule, and control complex projects
- Allocate best resources and track progress
- Monitor and visualize project performance versus. plan
- Conduct what-if analysis and analyze alternative project plans